Sunday, November 17, 2013

Money Management

If I say this outloud and write about it on my blog, then maybe it will help me stick to my current goal of getting our finances in better order this coming year.  I have heard about a money management system by Dave Ramsey and am going to read up on it and see if I can improve our saving/spending habits.

When my husband and I were first married I was so thrifty.

I would, for example:

Compare prices of items at different stores and keep a notebook of those prices.
I would make cheap meals like lentil casserole and tuna cheddar soup and we actually enjoyed eating them
When we eventually had babies, I would make my own baby wipes and use cloth diapers
I would hang my clothes to dry and wash dishes by hand
and the list could go on and on.

My biggest role model was Amy Dacyczyn and her book (at that time it was in newsletter form) The Tightwad Gazette.

How freeing it was for me to know that we were in charge of our money and that I could be a stay at home mom if I chose to because we knew how to really cut back on things...even necessary things, and still live a great and happy life.

I am looking forward to trying it out again.  Maybe not exactly the same as we did before...we now have six living children who all have needs/wants...It is no longer my husband and I with a baby or two.

How do you try and save money/spend less?  If you have any ideas, let me know.  I'm all ears :)

  

2 comments:

  1. you know what - the dave ramsey program is amazing! find a church that is teaching it. it lasts i think 10 weeks or something. i learned so darn much and it covers things like life insurance, wills, buying car, getting out of debt (duh!), setting a budget and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your recommendation :) I know of one other family that really loves the way in which he teaches you so many great things. It is unlikely that my husband and I can attend sessions at a church because of our schedule, but I am going to get the book/books. It certainly can't hurt and I'm "all for" trying to be smarter with our money. So happy to hear that you have learned great things from this money expert!

      Delete